Latest File Version
The latest file version is 220.127.116.11. This can be verifed by selecting the executable oval.exe in the Windows Explorer and selecting Properties->Version.
||OmniValue for Retail, Impex scripts, improved GUI and web report.
||New Windows installer fully compatible with Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit systems).
||Risk management, increased data panel size, average cost and fee as metrics, transaction export and import to text window. OmniValue 3.0 requires Windows 2000 or later.
||Version 2.2.5 is the last version which runs on older Windows operating systems.
||Transaction export and import. Saving and restoring of GUI settings.
||Reference synchronization, password protection, text colors in value explorer
||Cash flow measure, different record and payment dates, support for multiple tax calculation methods, price alerts, bookmarks, reference scaling, full graph view, Windows XP controls and styles
||Gain/loss measure, mixed currency support, portfolio wizard, document templates
||Improved reference handling, simplifed asset wizard, extended support for quotes from Yahoo Finance
||Improved user interface, cost handling, transaction wizard, support for quotes from Yahoo Finance
||3D graphics, tax account, accounting period
||First release of OmniValue
Features in version 4.0
- OmniValue for Retail. New capability which makes OmniValue a powerful tool for sales analytics and inventory management for small to medium sized retail shops and Internet e-commerce sites. More information is available on the page for OmniValue Retail.
- Extended support for import/export and configurable Impex scripts. The import/export functionality has been significantly improved to support easy and flexible import of data in different formats based on configurable Impex script files. Read more about importing and exporting of transaction data.
- Improved support for references. References in the form of downloadable spreadsheets (csv files) on the Internet is now directly supported as reference sources.
- Web report. New reports have been added including a list of sales transactions suitable for submission to tax authorities. A Print Page link is added to each page. New color scheme.
- Accounting Period. The accounting period can now be set via the menu and the toolbar. New date time controls have been added for increased usability.
- Plus many more improvements. Including major rework of the OmniValue GUI and data wizards to increase usability and further simplify input of data.
Features in version 3.1
- New Windows Installer. OmniValue installations are easy and simple with the new installer. The installer supports all Windows versions including Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit).
Features in version 3.0
- Risk Management. Risk is a new financial metric with a value between 1 and 10. Risk is assigned based on the type of asset and it is calculated as a weighted average of the market value components at all levels in the document. The default risk levels in OmniValue can be changed making it possible to customize and define own risk models.
- Larger data panel. The data panel in the OmniValue GUI has been increased to improve user experience. The data panel now displays two more metrics in the data view and the graph size is also increased.
- Average Cost in data panel. The Average Cost metric is now available in the data panel (page 2, Other Metrics). Previously Average Cost was only available in the web report.
- Fees in data panel. Total fees paid are now available as a separate metric in the data panel (page 2, Other Metrics). Note that fees have already been included in calculations of income and tax and the metric should only be used for e.g. comparison of fees between different financial instruments.
- Transaction Export and Import. In addition to export/import to text files, the export/import can now also be made to a text window in the application. This makes it possible to copy/paste transaction data directly from web pages and files. More on transaction export and import...
- Plus many more improvements. Including full compatibility with the security model in Windows Vista, etc.
Features in version 2.2.5
This version is the last version which runs on older Windows operating systems (Windows 95/98/Me/NT4). To download this version click here
Features in version 2.2
- Transaction Export and Import. Transaction data export and import from external software applications is now supported. Large amounts of transaction data can be moved from legacy systems into OmniValue without having to type in the transactions manually. More on transaction export and import...
- Improved user interface (GUI). Resizing windows or transaction lists each time OmniValue is run is no longer necessary. OmniValue automatically keeps track of all window and list settings and restores them when the program is started.
- Plus many more improvements. Including new options for switching off reference synchronization reminders etc.
Features in version 2.1
- Reference Synchonization. Reference source definitions are automatically synchronized to latest online definitions by Milliplex. There is no need to manually manage or download reference sources anymore.
- Password protection of files. Setting a password protects the file from being opened in OmniValue without the password.
- Text colors in the value explorer. The text for assets in the value explorer are now shown in different colors depending on how the price changed after editing or after a reference update.
- Plus many more improvements. Including changes in web report etc.
Features in version 2.0
- New financial metric - cash flow. Cash flow is calculated as cash receipts minus cash payments. It is available both in the data summary, as well as in a separate tab containing graphs over time.
- Support for different record and payment dates. The transaction engine has been rebuilt to handle different record and payment dates in a transaction, and transactions that overlap in time can now be defined.
- Support for multiple tax calculation methods. Supported methods are Average Cost, FIFO, and Nominal Cost. OmniValue will automatically calculate tax according to all enabled methods and select the method that minimizes the tax.
- Price alerts. High and low price alerts can be defined for assets. When the price of an asset exceeds the specified threshold the user is notified of the change.
- Bookmarks. A bookmark can be defined for any type of value. A bookmark can be an URL to a web page on the Internet, or a file path to a local file e.g. an MS Word document or an MS Excel spreadsheet. To open a bookmark click on the info ("i") button on the toolbar.
- Reference scaling. A reference can now be scaled with an arbitrary number before setting the price in the asset.
- Full graph view. the graph can be maximized to the entire window. To toggle between the views, use the graph icon on the toolbar or simply click on the graph background.
- Full support for Windows XP controls and styles.
- Plus many more improvements. Including reorganization of the data summary tab, web report always opens in new window, redesign and simplification of many dialogs etc.
Many thanks to Roger Collin of New Zealand and Terry Woodward of the United Kingdom who suggested many of the features and improvements in version 2.0.
Features in version 1.4
- New financial metric - gain/loss. It is a measure of the profitability of investments that are still held. It is available both in the data summary, as well as in a separate tab containing graphs over time.
- Support for mixed currencies. An exchange rate can be defined at the portfolio level which enables assets to be denominated in a foreign currency. The values in the assets are recalculated to the document base currency in the portfolio using the specified exchange rate.
- Owner Templates. Provides a quick start document structure which new users can use to edit and add their own financial data
- New Portfolio wizard. The wizard guides the user in a step by step process to create a new portfolio.
- New element lists. New lists showing comparative metrics and data for portfolios and assets.
- Plus many more improvements. Including export of reference sources, improved web report, etc.
Many thanks to Roger Collin of New Zealand who suggested many of the features and improvements in version 1.4.
Features in version 1.3
- Improved reference handling. The concept of markets has been introduced to further simply the handling of references. The dialog for reference sources has been completely redesigned. A new wizard for creating reference sources has been added. Extensive support for references via Yahoo Finance for all major financial markets around the world.
- Improved asset wizard. The asset wizard has been redesigned using the new reference concept of markets. The wizard now provides an intuitive and easy way to create an asset with a reference without requiring any knowledge of reference types.
- Plus many more improvements. Including high resolution icons, rename of the term "cost" to "fee" for transactions to avoid confusion, etc.
Features in version 1.2
- Improved User Interface. Redesigned menu system promoting simplicity and clarity. The Value menu is the common starting point for all management of owners, portfolios, assets and transactions in the program. Full support for context menus (right click menus). A toolbar containing all the functions necessary to create, edit, update, and report value documents is provided. Sorting of transactions in the transaction list is supported.
- Handling of cost for transactions. A brokerage fee (courtage) can be defined for a transaction (in previous versions transaction fees could only be handled by using the buy total and sell total transactions).
- Improved transaction handling. Full support for copy, paste, include/exclude, import/export, and report of transactions is provided. A new transaction wizard provides detailed explanations and options for selecting a suitable transaction type. A number of new transactions are supplied which provides a "total value" alternative to all common transactions.
- Improved reference handling. Support for quotes via Yahoo Finance. Updates are now context sensitive such that a reference source (authority) does not have to be explicitly included in the update. An update will automatically determine which references that are in scope in the currently selected value (asset, portfolio, or owner) and only update that set of references. To update the entire document, update the owner.
- New graph options. Graph dimensions can be set to 2D or 3D. The graph background can be set to gray, black, or white.
- Plus many more improvements. Including improved asset wizard, redesigned web report, extended icon sets etc.
Features in version 1.1
- 3D graphical analysis of financial data. A number of graphs are provided showing total value over time, investment, return, return on investment, income, tax, and the number of transactions in a value. 37 graphs are automatically generated for an owner, 24 graphs for a portfolio, and 11 graphs for an asset. The graphs are included both in the user interface as well as in the web report.
- New value type: tax account. The tax account makes it possible to register payments to and returns from the tax authority. Since the balance of a tax account will reduce the tax for the owner, any tax shown for the owner will be tax due.
- Two new transaction types: initial balance, and unit dividend. The initial balance transaction makes it possible to set the balance of an asset without an investment. The unit dividend is a transaction where a reward is given as a number of new units with a specified unit value (sometimes also referred to as a reinvestment dividend).
- Wizard for creating Assets. With the new wizard, the task of creating assets is trivial. The wizard will guide the user through the correct definitions without requiring any prior knowledge about dynamic values, or the use of references etc.
- Setting of accounting period. The accounting period can be set to start at any start date, and stop at any stop date. To set the accounting period to a specific year, set the start date to January 1 in the year, and the stop date to December 31 in the year. The accounting period is global and will affect all calculations and icons in the program.
- Improved document verification. During runtime of the program, the document is continuously checked for inconsistencies (an example of an inconsistent transaction is a transaction specifying a sale of 200 units, when the asset only contains 100 units). On open of a document, the document is verified by inspecting the value types and transaction types in the document. If an unknown type is found, the program will try to "learn" the type by creating a new type in the program, which resembles the unknown type found in the document as much as possible.
- Plus many more improvements. Including keyboard shortcuts, navigation bar in web report, extended icon sets etc.